‘Alice in Wonderland’ meets ‘Night of the Living Dead’
Cult Of The Abyss is a cute-horror-survival-sandbox that lands you in a broken world ruled by a dark apocalyptic cult. A whimsical journey takes place in which you play the character of a boy called “Chris” and his best friend “Quest” – a dog. You both need to search for loot, explore and survive. You build your own hideouts, protect and defend them to not get overrun by the eerie creatures that hunt you at nighttime. The game offers searching loot, crafting, base building,magic , farming, taking care of your dog and most importantly surviving together!
The whole project is a one-man development. #solodev
Gameplay Mechanics v.003
*Note: Ideas might change through development
Open World / Sandbox
Explore a vast, procedurally generated, endless terrain with different biomes and a spooky world underneath. Decide where to build and what to do – be creative!
You can change the entire environment by dismantling, destroying, digging, building and repairing.
It’s all up to you!
Be cautious about the time of day: at night the Cult’s mutants form hordes and appear out of the subways and dungeons. They search for food and pray at the totems.
Find an eerie world below the magical world. Roam through dark subway stations and tunnel systems. Maybe build an outpost there? Find loot in the boney catacombs and explore. But beware the creepy creatures that live here!
General survival system for each character
- Over time, every character will develop different needs. States like hunger, thirst, stress, headaches, bleeding, exhaustion, the need to take a dump, intoxication and more.
- based on these needs and the current environment, every character gets into situations like “I’m hungry”, “enemy in range”, “companion in fight” or “blocked path” and others.
- Characters are able to make plans on how to solve the situation and trying to execute them.
- relationships between characters form (can make friends and enemies) #futureidea
Specific behaviours for character types
- mutants search for totems they can pray to so they can elevate their mood
- at nighttime mutants seek to come up from the underground to seek for food, during the day they want to go back down
- at “witching hour” mutants will know exactly where you are and hunt you down
- there are fairies looking for friendly/neutral characters to heal them
- as a player you can get the stat “missing quest” which will drain your mood.
- cultists should form hords at dark messes #futureidea
- standing too long next to a totem will drain your mood and spawn a cultist #futureidea
- poisoning plants growing over tiles #futureidea
- growing slime #futureidea
Companion and Character Interaction
Keep an eye out for your companion. He is depending on you and you need to take care of him.
At the moment the interaction with NPCs includes feeding, cuddling, you can shoo and call them.
I am planning to add more Tamagotchi-like interactions especially for relationship between player and companion „Quest“.
Crafting / Produce
Harvest, chuck, pick and loot the items you need to craft things with and which are necessary for your survival. Build certain “furniture” like workbench or fireplace to unlock more specific recipes.
Craft or find different types of blocks and objects to build a hideout for you and your companion to make it through the night. Protect your base with spikes, magical plants and other tower defense mechanisms. Settle and rebuild a broken house in the city area.
Find all kinds of items in different places like shelves, cupboards, cars, dead bodies and more. You should also look for magic weapons and items to cast spells.
Biomes & Plants & Farming
Seed and harvest plants to eat and grow. Plants grow over time at different speeds on different biomes.
You can build “thaumatech”-towers to protect your base as well as spikes and traps.
Thaumaturgy is the special source of magical-energy in the world of Cult of the Abyss and thaumatech is the technology that can use it. For the future I want to add magical plants that help you to protect your base and survive attacks of big hordes..
You need to find a way back home and once you do find your way out you solved the game.
If your character dies you can decide if you want to respawn. If you do so you must find your belonging and your companion quest.
If you are without your companion for too long your mood-level shrinks and you might fall into depression.
If you or your companion dies there is also a resurrection spell to recall him.
I have a ton of ideas I would like to try and implement.
- I’m thinking about friendly intelligent NPCs you can interact with. There is the story about the Loomies which are the inhabitants of the world but killed by the dark cult. I’m planning to create Loomy survivor characters you can encounter.
- Also, I’m still playing with the idea of having imaginary friends that appear and help you i.e. building your base or chucking trees and defending.
- On top of that I want to work on the city and underground-dungeon generation.
- I’d like to add water-life and the possibility to go fishing.
- Enforcing the cult aspect in the world by having specific cultists biomes and bases/dungeons would be great to add as well.
And of course there are so many more enemy characters I’d like to add, more items, more biomes and environment stuff… endless possibilities.